Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Of Drones and Cleaning my Digital Footprint

Last night during PBS Frontline's Digital Nation a portion of the program surveyed how Predator Drone pilots are engaging in combat from 1/2 a planet away, and there on the screen real American soldiers are depicted actually taking out the enemy. After their shift, they apck up and return to the comfort to of their homes. In America, not on some home away from home base 1/2 a planet away from home.

Taken aback and Awed by where technology has taken things,  I made a Twitter update about sending "a Drone Schlegs into my classroom. :)" No sooner had I updated my feed than I thought, "Somebody's going to misinterpret that one." So, like a good Twitizen, I deleted the tweet.

All night I worried about how that Tweet was read, even though it was out there a very short time.

I lamented that no one is going to know that I am really struggling with my teaching as of late, questioning my ability and my real impact on my students.

I worried further that no one is going to understand that I want my students to be engaged in learning, and I am really having a difficult time drawing them into the material. I writhed over the fact that no one is going to understand from those <140 characters that I am trying to craft lessons while staying a mere 1/2 step ahead of the game, knowing that while I'm feeling bedraggled, my students aren't being served to the degree they deserve.

Bottom line, no one will see the person behind that remark in a state of doubt where he's willing to give it the possibility that a highly trained master teacher taking my form and "piloting me" from 1/2 a world away could have a more meaningful and lasting positive impact on my students than I think I am having this year.

Minutes later, I  updated my feed with what I hope is a better Tweet, one more accurately capturing what was swirling in my head when I posted the earlier update: "I think an avatar and /or Drone version of me would do a better job as of late - one or both should be in front of my room these days."


I am still still worrying, lamenting, and writhing, though.

-SchlegsofTonka

No comments:

Post a Comment